Kidepo National Park is one of the best safari parks to enjoy game viewing in Africa. Located in the remote north eastern corner of Uganda, Kidepo is isolated from the rest of the country by the sparsely populated, arid badlands of Karamoja Region. Kidepo is of the most alluring destinations in the country boasting a strong wilderness atmosphere, rugged mountain scenery and unique animals that are not found in the other national parks in Uganda. Voted by the CNN as the best place to see in 2013, Kidepo is a great place to enjoy wilderness safaris and it is an exceptional place to enjoy game viewing and bird watching. Today Kidepo is taking the lead to be Uganda virgin national park with almost all the attractions that one would wish to see on an African safari in Uganda. On a safari in Kidepo you will see exclusive wildlife including cheetahs, lions, elephants, buffaloes and more.
About Kidepo National Park
The Kidepo Valley National Park located in far north east of Uganda. It is one of the most spectacular national parks in Uganda covering 1,442 sq km and one of the few places in the world where one get a real feeling of wilderness on an Africa Safari. The park has a great range of flora and fauna having a total of 86 mammal species and a checklist of 463 confirmed birds and 26 unconfirmed birds. Main attractions include the cheetahs, the striped hyenas, leopards, lions, elephants, the Uganda Kob, buffaloes, jackals, hyenas and more.
On a safari through Kidepo National Park, you will also experience a cultural tour that will teach you about the people and culture in Uganda, most especially the Karimojong people who live near the park.
Why Enjoy a Safari in Kidepo National Park?
- Kidepo Valley National Park has the most stunning scenery characterized by rugged mountains and strong wilderness.
- The best variety of wildlife in Uganda including Zebras, Cheetahs and Ostrich, Lions, giraffes and Elephants
- A tour to Kidepo offers a chance to visit the Karamojong Village, a pastoral society in Uganda.
What is the Best time to Visit Kidepo National Park?
- November to January – when you might see some of the biggest buffalo herds in Africa, are the best months to visit.
- The rainy season (August to September) ha s long grass that impedes viewing and it can also be problematic accessing the park on muddy roads. But you are sure to see lots of animals at any time when you take a safari within the park.
Many travel guides and guide books advise against traveling to Kidepo Valley National Park by Road. However, we can confirm that it is safe to travel to Kidepo by road. Many travelers have taken both guided safaris and self drive road trips to the park. You can drive via Mbale and Moroto or Gulu and Kitgum.
There are charter flights to the Apoka Airstrip located within the park. You can take flights to Kidepo using Fly Uganda or AeroLink. AeroLink has scheduled flights on Mondays and Fridays.